Monday, April 30, 2007

And so it begins...

It's time for Prac again!

It has come around so quickly, that's for sure. For this Prac I am with a K/1 class at Seven Hills West Public School - not far from home, although I would have liked to branch out of my LGA a bit more! Hopefully next Prac I will...
So yes... K/1 class... goodness. Not my specialty, I don't think. Well, I certainly haven't got as much experience with the younger grades than what I do with Yrs 4-6. I did teach a Kindy Scripture class for a year though, and I must admit that I did enjoy it. At least I'll get a bit more experience with that age group on this Prac now!
One thing I can see being difficult for me is that a K/1 class is across Stages (according to Syllabuses). Which is going to make it interesting doing lesson plans - 2 sets of outcomes etc. However, it certainly will be good to get the experience working in a composite class.

I almost don't feel prepared for this Prac. We're going in pretty much blind tomorrow - Prac has hardly been mentioned at Uni, it's strange. Tomorrow is observation day, and I am glad that we start with that! I might try to remember all the different classroom management stuff we worked on last Prac haha...

I am looking forward to this Prac though, despite the late nights that I will encounter doing lesson planning and so on. It's such an invaluable experience, and I'm sure that it will confirm for me again that I want to be a Primary Teacher. Just seeing kids faces when they learn something new, when they create something of their own (hoorah for Constructionism haha), and when they succeed... it's priceless. I look forward to seeing that this Prac!

I intend to post on this blog every day of my Prac. We are meant to be reflecting as we go along, so I thought I'd do that on here... you can have a read and comment, if you so desire. Thanks!

Until tomorrow... bye!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Hey Rach,

My last prac was with a 2/3 class -hence across the stages likeness.

I found outcomes were quite similar in each syllabus and also, one group is likely to be able to do what the other's syllabus is anyway, or even just in a more sumplified version.
I usually took the yr3 outcomes, and it just made the yr2s work a bit harder, or gave them a different degree of depth.

It's a bit all over the place sometimes - but fun, and gives some variety to the day. If the teacher has managed and developed the class well in term 1, then it should be a great class with good balance!

Have fun!